Sunday, January 30, 2011

Culling Downloads

I've been on a mission to cut down on custom content as much as possible. Why?
  1. I happen to like maxis style items.
  2. I need my load times to be quick so I can get more play into my busy schedule.
  3. I tend to declutter in RL as well, so of course it's going to happen to my game as well.
So how am I cutting down on custom content?
  1. Download ban for two-three months during the process. I can still download, but the downloads may not enter the game.
  2. Mercilessly delete duplicate recolors, I don't need 7 shades of white.
  3. Mercilessly delete poorly made recolors, I tend not to use it anyway, so why let it take up space.
  4. Mercilessly delete recolors that I don't use frequently.
  5. If I like a texture, but don't want to use the custom mesh, then I will move the texture to a maxis mesh. This is mostly for paintings and rugs and the occasional seating item.
I do have a plan for deleting object items.
  • I'm deleting duplicates of recolors, poorly made recolors and recolors that I don't use frequently item by item. Yes, that means going through the catalog and shifting through each and every item and deleting recolors.
  • This obviously can quickly becoming tedious, boring and overwhelming, so I of course broke it down into smaller tasks.
  • For the initial pass I will go through the following subcategories within six months: Comfort, Surfaces, Decorative, Plumbing, Appliances, Electronics, Lighting, Hobbies, Miscellaneous, Community Lot-Only.
  • For maintance, I will go through the catergories once a month just to make sure I am not shifting through a ton of unnecessary custom content.
My plan for deleting body shop items is very much the same.
  • I'm deleting duplicates of recolors, poorly made recolors and recolors that I don't use frequently item by item. Yes, that means going through the catalog and shifting through each and every item and deleting recolors.
  • For hairs, I will only allow two shades of the same color family for each mesh. Ie, a nouk curly mesh can only have two red recolors,
  • This obviously can quickly becoming tedious, boring and overwhelming, so I of course broke it down into smaller tasks.
  • For the initial pass I will go through the following subcategories within six months: Hair, Adult Clothing, Elder Clothing, Children Clothing, Teen Clothing, Toddler Clothing
  • For maintance, I will go through the catergories once a month just to make sure I am not shifting through a ton of unnecessary custom content.
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. "I tend to declutter in RL as well, so of course it's going to happen to my game as well."

    And suddenly my huge amount of downloads makes perfect sense! I don't declutter in RL or the game!

    Moving textures to Maxis meshes is a great idea, if there's an equivalent. I find a lot of creators make new meshes that are almost identical to Maxis ones.

    Good luck with your cull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Carla, LOL! I suppose that makes sense RL mirrors Simming Life :P I agree that some of the meshes look the same-which I don't understand. Thanks, so far it's going well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails